My name is Noemi Martinez and I am a sensitivity reader, cultural worker, diversity editor & researcher.
My specialities are disability, neurodivergency & diversity. Contact me if you are in need of an experienced cultural editor, sensitivity reading, authenticity reader or any diversity & inclusion questions or research in your manuscripts & media.
I am available to do evaluations and editorial services for your articles, essays, poetry collections, chapbooks and manuscripts. I also provide editorial services such as manuscript consultations, language editing, feedback and detailed notes depending on where you are on your project, your timeline and your budget.
When I do a sensitivity read, I look for any bias, problems in language, stereotypes and negatively charged language with special focus in my areas of expertise as detailed to the right. If there is a specific identity that you’d like me to be aware of, I’ll make notes where appropriate or when I believe it might come across as insensitive to audiences. I deliver my notes in a document to the editor or writer along with any areas that I believe contain harmful representations, stereotypes or inaccuracies.
Areas of Expertise
Research areas include:
- the wild west mythology of the United States that disappears people of color on the frontier
- society’s views of single mother’s of color
- Mexican American history
- South Texas History
- Texas/Mexico History before 1848-present
- DIY and the DIY subculture
- alternative media
- zine & zine culture
- history of zines
- neurodiversity & neurodivergency
- learning disabilities
- technology in the future
- brain disorders
- people of color & disability/ use of tech
- people of color
- queer people of color
- the bracero movement
- bicultural identity
- mujerista feminism
- chicana/chicanx/ latinx identity
- 1st generation children of immigrants
- 1st gen Mexican, Mexican-American
- 1st gen Puerto-Rican experience
- femme identity
- queer identities
- LGBTGIA identities
- Specific local landmarks in the Rio Grande Valley, TX
- Specific local fauna of the RGV
- the Rio Grande Valley and South Texas area
- Hidalgo, Starr and surrounding counties
Rates for sensitivity reads for articles start at $50 per page (250 words industry standard).
Manuscript rates depend on length, protect turnaround and editing services required.
For sensitivity reads-rates start at $400 for manuscripts up to 50,000 words, then $10 for every 1k words thereafter.
Editorial services, which includes dialogue editing and development editing, are in addition to sensitivity reads when adjustments are necessary and are billed at an hourly rate starting at $40/hr.
Research services are billed by the hour and can be done at any point of the of writer’s project.
Rush jobs have added fees.